Sunday, April 18, 2010

Case of the iPad. Tech savvy time waster or not?

I don't really like to spend money. Let me re-phrase. I don't mind spending money if I feel like I am getting a good deal. Case in point: Aside from a dress I bought for a wedding because I am a brides maid, I haven't bought new clothes all year. And I feel fine about it. I budget every week. I like to know where our money money is going. McKay doesn't go to work for us so I can just spend spend spend. And I don't stay home so I can blog all day or sleep in or play on Facebook. I have too much I want to learn about and try and do.

And then I came across this.
The iPad

And then this happened: For 45 minutes
What is that you ask yourself? Its the iPad. And its an app called Scratch Pad (or something like that). And that is my bro that lives in Hawaii. He was homeless so he came to Texas for 10 days until he could get into his new place. Jaed, aja-Little Miss Perpetual Motion, sat on Robbie's lap and played on this for a very long time. 

All of the sudden i was envisioning plan rides to Grandma's and car rides to downtown and realized I was drooling. On my face was a grin. A BIG one. If just one app can do this, I wonder what else it can do? I was soon to find out. 

The starting iPad is $499 plus tax but free shipping from the Apple store. It's not a glorified iPhone. Its way better. The 16mg can hold about 30 movies. I am happy with just three! 30? Really? Amazing. It can turn into a typical touchpad keyboard and be used to surf the net and type etc... And after tonight's third demo i had from Matt, I am hooked. And you as a family member should be also. Because of this gem


Incredible. Thanks Robbie. I can picture Jaed already laying in bed and being read to by Grandma. 

Maybe for mothers day? Maybe for the toddler's 2nd birthday? Maybe for Anniversary gift or Christmas gift or maybe we will combine the entire year of holidays into one. Actually, I better just start looking on the ground for change to finance this. I think I will start with the laundromat. Because while there are PLENTY of ways to waste time with technology, there are not many ways to connect with family in this way. And that my dear reader, is priceless. 




4 comments:

Hillel said...

Thank you so much for mentioning our service - A Story Before Bed. We haven't announced it officially yet... but not only will you be able to watch recorded books on your iPad, but in a couple of days (when we hear back from Apple) you'll be able to do the same on your iPhone 3Gs. :D

Thanks so much for your kind writeup. If you need anything, don't hesitate to let us know.

Hillel
A Story Before Bed

McKay said...

What's 16mg? :)

kaysi van dyke fox said...

Thanks makana!!! You're the best! I believe she is in fort worth, I know that's way far from houston, but you can totally call her and she will fill u in with everything that is going on! Love ya! Her number is 5307017782

marcia said...

Wow that looks pretty cool. That would be fun to have. You'll have to let me know how to read a story to Jade.

I am realizing that this is mostly me, (makana) you get to read about in this blog. Hmm... well, lucky you! :)