Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Not quite clean...

This is one of my favorite places. The Houston Temple.
I love its architecture. I love the grounds. Most of all I love that it is the House of the Lord. 

Last night I went here. This picture is from the linked blog but last night, it did look like this. The sky was that to-die-for blue with the cotton candy pink clouds. And for th brief moment I took to soak it all in, I felt that there must not be anything more beautiful. Well, aside from a newborn baby or some miracle like that. But you get the picture. 

While this Temple was breathtaking beautiful, I was well aware that I, at the moment, was not. "What!?" Yes folks, I was not really quite clean. I had planned on going swimming that day so opted out of the usual morning shower. As being a mom is, one thing led to another and some homemade bread and a visit from friends later, I was STILL bra-less and shoeless not to mention shower-less. 

So what to do? The hubbs had already come and gone and come again. And I had just 30minutes to get there before it closed. And being that we will be gone the remainder of the month, this was it. The last day. Do or die. 

I chose do. 

And now I was regretting it. 

My hair was greasy and I couldn't find the nail polish remover ANYWHERE! I had tried to scrape off my black nail polish but it didn't all come off. Seriously?! And as I write this I still cannot find it. 

But I went. I went in and something beyond description happened. I was met with loving words from the sweet man at the front. As I proceeded upstairs, I felt more at ease but also more aware of my unwashed hair. And of my chipped black nail polish. And the words of my mom and grandma about being dressed properly for Temple worship.  As I got dressed I kept thinking that maybe I should I leave. Or at least I should have painted my nails red. 

After a few minutes and many conversations in my head later I was ready to do what I came to do.

And it was beautiful. It was inspiring. And it was so unique and life altering for me in a tender way that I had to write it down. I don't want to forget. 
..............................................................
The Temple is God's house. I am His daughter. And the work that happens therein is crucial. I am a part of it. 
..............................................................
While I will prepare much better next time. I will begin to bring names to the Temple. And I will always remember the sweet lesson I learned. That I wasn't quite clean. But none of us are. And that is why we have the Savior. That is why we go to the Temple and to church. And that is why missionary work and genealogy work are so important. Because whatever sin or weakness we are experiencing. Whatever trial we must pass through, the opportunity to know Christ and to become joint-heirs with Him (Rom. 8:17) are worth it. 




4 comments:

Sapp Family said...

Makana! I love your posts. They're so inspiring! I've had that same feeling in the temple before too...it's nice to know I'm not the only one. You guys will definitely have to come visit us one of these days, especially since we have a couple extra rooms now! The house is coming along great. We should have the kitchen put back together within a week or two. Yay! Oh, and the wedding went really well too! I hope you guys are doing well!

Niki Carter said...

Thanks Makana. THat was a great reminder.

The Parrys said...

LOVE this! you inspire me... seriousely!

THE SMITHS said...

How funny that we both had a spiritual experience and posted about it. ;-)
I am sure even though you hadn't been the cleanest that day your heart and you mind were! thank you for sharing this with me!

I am realizing that this is mostly me, (makana) you get to read about in this blog. Hmm... well, lucky you! :)