Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Life without sweets

I have bad teeth. I like to blame it on my genes and my daughter. (please let there be SOMEONE besides me whose teeth got a little worse for wear because of pregnancy).  Sometimes I dream of having good teeth. The kind that are strong and healthy and brush and floss themselves.... big sigh.

But alas, that dream is not to be mine and therefore I must be content with my not-so-tough-teeth. What does this mean you wonder? Well, it means I use an electric toothbrush. I use floss. I use special toothpaste and special mouthwash. I use these items three... yes I said THREE times a day (well, floss just twice).

And I cut out all sweets.



That makes me sad.

Very. Sad.

But, I get to keep ice cream.

And that is happy.

Truth be told, I don't much miss the sweets. I did not really like chocolate or cake. And I only liked two pies. I was not a big fan of candy bars until I discovered Smarties in Scotland. If I ever have the chance to eat Smarties again, I know I will fail. Don't these look so yummy? Ugh... I am drooling.

oh, right, I don't eat sweets. And I am ok with that. Amazingly, I am not really tempted. Anytime I bake I noticed that I did not really eat what I baked. Maybe the yummy smells filled me up. Yes, that must be it. And now that I think about it, I do like the smell of cookies baking more than the cookies themselves. You do too!? What a pair we make.

So here is my posts to sweets. To no more sixlets or KitKats or molten-lava cakes. Goodbye my tasty tarts and salt water taffy and gummy bears. Farewell birthday cake and brownie bites. Because, my teeth are more valuable that sugar and calories.

And if you are in need of a Dentist in Housotn... You have GOT to check out Dr. Hamilton Calder. He is just wonderful. Great staff, top technology, friendly, affordable, and I could go on. And tell them I sent you. The girl who doesn't eat sweets.

7 comments:

makana said...

FYI: Its been 2 months now and still holding strong!

Tina said...

WOW!! Incredible! I'm impressed at your dedication and determination and let's not forget, your will power. Good job!!
Your teeth thank you and so do your thighs!!!

Anonymous said...

Makana,
I will send you some Smarties after I get back from France this summer. Canada has them too if you ever go there. You'll have to break the rules for some Smarties...

Bemily said...

Oh man.. I just saw my newest craving.. smarties and suckers. You have a lot of self control!! You amaze me.

Thayn Family said...

wow...
*no sweets
*brush, floss and rinse 3 times a day
*get full just by smelling baked goods

You are the most amazing women in the world!!!

ps. I think you have a beautiful smile :)

The Best Things In Life Aren't Things... said...

Hey Makana! Thanks for your blog comment. Your blog is much cuter than mine. Mine is so basic because of my lack of blog skills. :) That would be awesome if we could meet up when you come to Fort Worth. We would love it. We hope to come to Houston sometime soon. My husband can't take much time off of work, so we want to come over a weekend sometime. We'll have to plan something for sure. Hope all is well with you and your adorable family.

marcia said...

Wow, I don't think I could do it! I'm very impressed. Im glad at least you got to go home for the dental work. I'm sure you would have much rather had good teeth tho and visited another time. So sorry! But great attitude.

I am realizing that this is mostly me, (makana) you get to read about in this blog. Hmm... well, lucky you! :)