Monday, November 16, 2009

a 4 letter word

McKay: Makana, you need to go ask the ultimate source
Makana: McKay! ARRGGGGHH! Well I already Googled it!

and....

McKay: This past week I learned on facebook......

I thought I would give you a little unasked insight to how much we inadvertently depend on the computer. :)

The laundry is going, the dishes are done, baby is napping and I have a lot to do today. And so I sit in front of the computer contemplating this upcoming year and a certain 4 letter word as my phone is buzzing off the hook since I forwarded my email to text format thanks to Google and Matt. And wondering why when I need to look up anything, I go to the Internet rather than the bookcase to find a definition of a certain four letter word. G-O-A-L


Main Entry: goal
Pronunciation: \ˈgōl, chiefly Northern especially in 1b & 3a also ˈgül\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English gol boundary, limit
Date: 1531

1 a : the terminal point of a race b : an area to be reached safely in children's games
2 : the end toward which effort is directed : aim
3 a : an area or object toward which players in various games attempt to advance a ball or puck and usually through or into which it must go to score points b : the act or action of causing a ball or puck to go through or into such a goal c : the score resulting from such an act

My goals for today include 1) finish a Youth book I am almost done with and 2) really study the scripture, not just read them. (That, my friends, is a battle and it should not be and is a WHOLE other conversation)

But back to goals... I like definition 2. And as I sit here my mind is wondering a few things one of which is where really is my effort directed to and pondering on this talk from General Conference. And with all this seriousness going on inside my head (which I don't like very much, uh, the seriousness, not my head) I picture making these from Anthropology and and am very excited

ps-since starting this post, I have ended up adding 7 more things to my to-do list for today. I mean really!? I guess the aprons will have to wait.... :(

2 comments:

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

You're so funny, Makana.

I've got a question for you-- how exactly did you publish your book? I've got a book I need to publish/at least print out nicely in time for Christmas and I'm looking into my options.

marcia said...

It's true I'm the same using the computer for everything even to diagnose anyone's illness. I reread that talk. Thanks for directing to me bec/it really is a great talk. I guess you're like me to many things to do to get to fun things like aprons. Those are darling.

I am realizing that this is mostly me, (makana) you get to read about in this blog. Hmm... well, lucky you! :)