Sunday, November 1, 2009

Is there anyone who doesn't love Sunday dinners?

Especially on Fast Sundays,

Well today we had something that we haven't had in a really long time...my "famous" mashed potatoes. At my urging, Makana finally bought a bag of potatoes. She hadn't bought them in a long time because she doesn't really like them. I love them, but I don't care much for rice. Makana, with her Hawaiian blood, loves rice so that is what we generally have with our meals.

Quick story about the mashed potatoes. Growing up, Mom would make us dinner 4 nights a week (M-Th). Friday nights, we were on our own, and on Saturday nights we would usually order pizza from Little Caesars OR Dad would make us his famed grilled cheese (or grilled tuna cheese) sandwiches. Sunday was always Dad's cooking day. Anyway, Monday through Thursday the meals would be any number of dishes, most were really good. Well, my Dad on the other hand, has always been a meat and potatoes guy and so it made sense that almost every Sunday dinner (with the exception of Fast Sunday) we had meat and potatoes. Not that I minded; Dad's meat, with few exceptions, would turn out great and his mashed potatoes are still the best I have ever had, anywhere (period, exclamation mark - I know that doesn't make sense, but I wanted to be emphatic). I would often help out peeling the potatoes or cutting fruit and so I would watch how he cooked the potatoes. Basically, he would use evaporated milk and fluff the heck out of the potatoes and then add quite a bit of shredded cheese. Then he would salt and pepper it, just right. Quite simple really, but nobody cooked 'em like Dad did. Well when I went out on my own, I tried mashed potatoes myself. It took me couple of times to master them, but now I can say that I too make the best mashed potatoes anywhere (period, exclamation mark).

Well when Makana and I were first married I told her I would like to continue my family's tradition and cook on Sundays. That lasted maybe a month and a half. I didn't have many recipes in my repertoire and so I would spend a lot of time on Sunday cooking. I hated it and would get angry and frustrated, so I stopped and Makana has been cooking ever since (with a few notable exceptions). She has asked me a couple of times if I was ever going to pick that up again and I wasn't opposed to the idea. Well today she asked me if I would cook dinner and I begrudgingly said yes. Then I remembered that we had potatoes! Mashed potatoes for dinner here we come!

After I got some good mashed potatoes in me, I figured, why stop there? So I decided I would post on the blog today (the blog is another thing I had agreed to help out with, but with which my efforts have been subpar). Just look what happens when I get on a roll!

7 comments:

makana said...

Yes, he has not cooked for while but today he did and it was just lovely. I had a whole extra hour on my hands... well 2 really since I have not quite adjusted to the time change yet.
And yes, I do not like potatoes. That is all from serving in Nebraska. But McKay make just fabulous ones!

The Parrys said...

Hey Mckay... you are among the few husbands who will even look twice at blogging. Ryan wouldnt blog on our blog if I paid him.. SO yes... you are on a ROLL!!!! Good for you! OH.. and I LOOOOOVE mashed potatoes. Is the recipe a secret? Or would you be so kind as to send it to me? :)

Kelsi said...

Hooray for McKay blogging! Listen even though I am not male I am still a friend thus you shouldn't feel that no one you know is reading. Anyway I enjoyed both posts. You guys sure are good looking.

Kelsi said...

Also little sidenote.. I think mom's cooking was always amazing and she went above and beyond in that area.

McKay said...

I agree that her cooking was amazing. But I do remember that I hated Chinese growing up for some reason and so whenever she made Chinese I already had my mind made up that I would hate it. I was a funny little boy.

Tina said...

Mashed potatoes.... Mmmmm good!! Have you ever made them with red potatoes and cream cheese? Super yummy! Again... can't wait to try them out at... Thanksgiving? Can you tell I'm excited to come?

marcia said...

It took dad a long time to learn how to make the potatoes right as well when I tried to teach him so don't get discouraged. But your right they are delicious now and I only occasionally have to add more cream or seasoning. Sunday dinners were my favorite meals to cook when you were young. I hated to give them up.

I am realizing that this is mostly me, (makana) you get to read about in this blog. Hmm... well, lucky you! :)