Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thoughts on the Treadmill: Part I

Remember this post here about my perfect morning goal? Well... today I have to admit was the first day I have actually gotten to do the exercise part. 30 minutes and 2 miles on the treadmill later, I was finished. Meaning: I had actually done it. I felt that as I stepped off all shaky and feeling that the ground was still moving (think of how it feel to stand in the ocean as the waves wash up), I knew I could conquer the world. Well, at least my world of toddler-hood.

As I had the baby monitor plugged into my ears and was watching (reading) the news on the TV, I had a lot of thoughts. And as we all know, my thoughts are very important and most certainly life-changing.

I thought about my life. I like to think about myself. Not in a selfish or prideful manner although I would not put it past me, but in a how did I get to the point to where I have a toddler and my more padded undersides are jiggly!!!??

Three years ago I was participating in a triathlon (it was a sprint)

Now I participate in "vacuum-it-up-fast-close-the-door-to-the-bathroom-fast" and "its-3pm-I-should-change-and-shower-and-make-dinner" races.

So what happened to take me from that to this? (disclosure: I LOVE LOVE LOVE my situation. I just had these thoughts while on the treadmill. Hence the title)

Three years ago this was me: Wife of one, student of english and tourism and marriage and family, nanny, late night movie watching/book reading, overly confident public speaker, hundreds of friends, and sweet as honey gal.

Now this is me: wife of one, mommy of one 16m old, student of marriage and family but in a different way, late night dishwasher, not-at-all good public speaker, a few close friends, even sweeter as honey as also can become as mean as a the queen bee.
I used to be pretty good at yoga and ran up mountainsides every morning. I was firm. The all-over-feel-good-in-a-swimsuit kind of firm. Like these gals below

Now This is my version of yoga: { if you can't read it go here }

And I can stop tears and mend cuts in no time flat but as far as the running up mountainsides, it is more a metaphor now than an actual event.

You may wonder what brought this on. Is it a mid-life crisis? Is my sweet friend losing it? Neither friends. In reality, I love that I will be 30 in 3 years. What a milestone! And the party planner in me already has ideas of how to celebrate. I think it has been a combination of that post I mentioned, swimsuit shopping, checkbook balancing, diaper-changing, and not tanning. You see, in just a week, we will be on this.

So, I started tanning (at least for my free two week trial at Darque-tan). I found a swimsuit I LOVE here and here and I have been asked to plan some events... a few parties and even a wedding. All things I love and even went to school to know how to do. I went to school in Hawaii where tanning and cute swimsuits and having fun is a requirement, not an elective.

As my 30 minutes on the treadmill finished up and I guzzled the water (i know, bad move), I was just suddenly overcome with the love that I feel in my life. No matter what has become a little soft over time or how my life has taken turns, I have love from the hubbs, from my little one, from my dear family and consistent friends and most importantly, I have love from my Father in Heaven. I know my purpose here on earth and I know I lived in His presence before. And while my mountains are now just imaginary, that is ok. I know that He is always there to cheer me along even if I never run another Triathlon again.


{the writer of this post and her hubbs will be running in a race this year together. Uhm, an actual race, not the race of life. More on that later. And thank you for listening to my thoughts)

5 comments:

McKay said...

Wow you got a good 30 minutes? I am glad you have the "baby monitor", by the way what is a "hubbs"? :)

meg said...

I loved reading your thoughts. I think we could have a very long conversation. We would definitely need snacks!

makana said...

if it involves Chocolate covered pretzels I am SO there!

Tina said...

You are very inspiring and I can't believe that this is you slowing down.
Have soooooo much fun on your cruise and relax, enjoy and don't come around me after you get back because you'll make me look even whiter than I am!! (cursed white, very easily burned skin...)

Janella said...

i would LOVE to ALWAYS comment on EACH post! you are just that special; you know:) anyway, i LUVD your bday comment/post on my fb...i felt so special. i love you much, my sis. keep up ur wonderful work in this game of life! i don't know that "game" would be so appropriate, but you know, this "race" of life:P

'ofa lahi atu!

I am realizing that this is mostly me, (makana) you get to read about in this blog. Hmm... well, lucky you! :)