Monday, July 26, 2010

Houston in July

{before I start, let me preface that I have been writing this since Sunday. Yes, Sunday. I am finally getting to post this. I have dishes in the sink, Lemon-Blueberry bread in the oven and 6 seasons of LOST to watch. Feel privileged. Oh, and I am allergy-ridden along with my toddler. Feel very privileged}

and here we go.......
.........................................................................
Most people I associate with love Houston. I mean, where else will you find such diversity in people, art, food, etc. It is the 4th most populated city in the USA, home to the largest medical district in the world, and the second LOWEST cost of living. Lest you think I have made these facts up, just click here.

I love Houston. I love the heat. I love the humidity. I love the use of Ma'am and Sir and doors opened for me by strangers and chatting to my new BFF in the grocery line (you know, the one you will never see again). Its.... wonderful. HOWEVER... I do understand that some people really do not like the heat and humidity. But really, who goes outside for long periods of time in ANY US city where it is hot and humid? I'll wait for your response...


still waiting.....

I didn't think so. With that said, there really is a lot to do in Houston. I feel like we are doing something each weekend. Maybe all this "going-and-doing" is why I currently have lost my sense of smell and taste and can't seem to stop the sneezing and watering of my eyeballs. I should stop. I should rest. I should.... but I don't. It is a disease. Its called "I can do it all, all of the time" disease. You have it too!! And here I thought I was the only one. Glad to have you aboard my friend. You can be the Vice President.

This week we have started the POTTY TRAINING process. And I would like to say for the record that I am doing pretty well. Every twenty minutes I try. And so far it has been a success. Oh, and the toddler has been doing pretty well too. But don't be fooled. She still has a long ways to go. But the end of diapers in in sight! Please bless I am not saying this prematurely.

And then we went to see this beautiful girl. Lois! who smelled like, well, crap. Apparently at its peak it smells like a rotting corpse. No thank you. And yet, we lined up and saw this girl with Mommy-to-be-T.
Corpse Flower


One of the truly great things about here in Texas is how they battle this war against heat and humidity. For instance, building a stadium that is indoors. Yes my friends, picture enjoying a baseball game in the comfort of AC! The last time we went the toddler was still in incubation. This was our two-year anniversary of that almost to the day.

And who could forget the celebration of another 16year old! Our cousin had a bday party. And teenagers do but of course, I never did because I am perfect. (sarcasm? satire?) The toddler was taught to JUMP OFF THE TRAMP INTO THE POOL. And as her ever diligent parents, we watched her do it not just once, not just twice, but three times. I figure she is going to do it anyhow so I may as well encourage it and supervise.

Now that is sound parenting advice right there. And I am off to visit LOST

7 comments:

Kelsi said...

People in other humid cities might not go out for long periods of time, but that is why you live in great places like utah where it is bearable to be outside. Although it would be nice to go swimming everyday to stay cool.

MyPremierDesigns said...

oh lost , jeez I am so far behind!!!! Looks like you guys are having fun out there! I believe houston is a great city! good choice!

McKay said...

I would have to agree with Kelsi on that one, I mean couldn't you use the same argument with cold places, oh thou who hatest the snow (Makana)?

Shelby Osmond said...

Haha agreed with McKay we need a real argument about the snow... otherwise you have to come back here to live...
p.s great shots of your cute toddler jumping off the tramp made me giggle.. your a good mom :)

Unknown said...

haha cute pics!! her hair is so long!!!! holy cow! and youre potty training?? good for you! you should email me with some pointers because im considering starting soon. but i dont know if shes ready.. how did you know jaedyn was ready?

Unknown said...

haha cute pics!! her hair is so long!!!! holy cow! and youre potty training?? good for you! you should email me with some pointers because im considering starting soon. but i dont know if shes ready.. how did you know jaedyn was ready?

marcia said...

Jaed sure is secure in the water isn't she? Thats awesome she's not afraid to jump in by herself.
You guys are great always going places every week. I remember when I was young like you and did that.

I am realizing that this is mostly me, (makana) you get to read about in this blog. Hmm... well, lucky you! :)