Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Reasons I love the South

Manners, Manners manners manners. This is something that is fast disappearing, What! You have noticed this too? I blame it on social media. But not on blogging. Just the other social media forms. Yes, THOSE ones.

Living is Texas for TWO YEARS now, I like to think that we a bit of experts if you will, on the south. You see, since I have started working at the lovely little people place, I have noticed a few things.

4 year olds call me Ma'am
3 year olds tell me they are fixin' to go
Teens say "pardon me"
and of course, who can forget the endless supply of small talk that greets me everywhere from the post office to the gas station to the parents who are dropping off kids. Seriously, we are all BFF's here. And Paris Hilton is no where to be found.

It is truly wonderful. Simply wonderful. And being the now well mannered and polite and reformed California girl that I am, here is a list for you to enjoy. And remember:

Having bad manners will cause other southerners to question your upbringing


................................................................................
-Say "pardon me" or "excuse me" when having to walk in front of someone or if you bump into someone.

-Err on the side of being too nice.


-Conduct small talk with others whether you know them or not (particularly in stores and restaurants, etc.).

-Respect elders

-Be gracious and extend hospitality whenever possible. Offer guests in your home food and drink.

-Don't interrupt

-Say "yes sir" or "no sir" and "yes ma'am" or "no ma'am" at all appropriate times. If you don't use these you may 
be viewed as arrogant or disrespectful, or uppity.


-If you don't get what you want, say something like "well, thank you anyway." You should also use "May I," "You're Welcome," "Excuse Me," and "Pardon Me."
Read more: How to Have Good Southern Manners | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2324670_have-good-southern-manners.html#ixzz0uAQvE30
0




7 comments:

Jake and Kari Williams said...

It is sad that manners are not the norm everywhere . . .but thank goodness the majority of the south has got it figured out!

McKay said...

I would not call Houston "the South". It is too metropolitan with more than half of the population probably being transplants. Yes you will get true Southern people here more than other "non South" places, but, for example, put a bunch of Houstonians behind the anonymity of a car and you will find how "ill-mannered" they quickly become.

Unknown said...

so true! they may be hicks but their manners are FAR better than any ive seen. its funny how people are generically different in different parts of the world. when we came to cali for ryans job interview we actually NOTICED that people were being nice to us. Since weve lived here we have realized that the people here are just a lot nicer, especially within the church. I mean.. dont get me wrong... there are rude people everywhere. But I REALLY love living outside of utah.. and this is one of the reasons!

marcia said...

love the reminders of what good manners should be like. Sounds like Mckay drives to work everyday.

marcia said...

love the reminders of what good manners should be like. Sounds like Mckay drives to work everyday.

marcia said...

love the reminders of what good manners should be like. Sounds like Mckay drives to work everyday.

marcia said...

love the reminders of what good manners should be like. Sounds like Mckay drives to work everyday.

I am realizing that this is mostly me, (makana) you get to read about in this blog. Hmm... well, lucky you! :)