Friday, July 16, 2010

To be a good wife you must first...

Get married. Yup, no point is being a good wife if you do not have a hubby.

But in all the semi-seriousness that I can extract, I just wanted to share why today, on My Husband Rocks Friday a few thoughts. Brought to you by none other than Dr. Laura,. Yes, THAT Dr. Laura. Because my friend B&G had this on their shelf and now it is in my hands. In the opening pages i read this quote:

As a man, I can tell you our needs are simple. We want to be fed, we want our kids mothered, and we want lovin'."
-- Vince


Now I am going to toot my own horn here and say that I like to think I am a pretty decent wife and mother. More often than not I am a Mother first and foremost to which Dr. Laura disagrees with. And to which I recall many a lessons in my classes of Marriage and Family agreeing with her. I agree with her as well. I need to be a wife first, THEN a mom. I also like that she is in favor of SAHM. And the need for them in families esspecially with how there is a strong attack on the family.

As I am not very far in this book, here are a few reminders, ideas, thoughts.... whatever you want to call them. Have you read this book yet? What do you think?
...........................................................................................

As one listener, Gary, says:
"A husband is like a horse. At the end of the day he is usually rode hard and put away sweaty. Like in the movies, if his master drives and beats him, he'll go just so far before bucking and rebelling.
If you love him, if you coax him, he'll drive himself till his heart explodes before he will let down his master. He'll give himself to death for the one he loves.
Which way should women handle a man?"
I have never gotten a complaint from a male listener in twenty-five years on the radio over my assertion that men are very simple creatures. They agree. I have explained time and again on my radio program that men are borne of women and spend the rest of their lives yearning for a woman's acceptance and approval. Unless you've got a man with a frank mental or personality disorder (the exception, not the rule), men admittedly are putty in the hands of a woman they love. Give him direct communication, respect, appreciation, food, and good lovin', and he'll do just about anything you wish -- foolish or not.
...........................................................................................................
"Men really are not as complicated as we think they should be. Men love to hear that their woman is happy and that they are the source of this happiness. Men deserve the same respect you would show a visitor in your home -- even more. Men love to be complimented. They also like to be admired. I always thank my husband for working so hard for us, and I encourage the kids to do so, too. Men are grumpy when they are tired and/or hungry. Anything they say while they are in either one of these states is not to be taken seriously. Men don't like it when women talk about them behind their backs. Men are not your 'daddies,' they are your contemporaries and get stressed and scared about things just like you do. And if you were a real friend, you would help ease their burdens, not add to them. Men have dreams, too, and it doesn't matter if it's logical or not, don't walk all over them. (this is where our dream, me speaking,  of living in Montana comes in... he would love that. I hate the snow. But I love him so its ok)
This doesn't mean that we don't have problems -- everyone does -- but it's a lot easier to work them out with a man who knows you love and respect him."
..........................................................................................
Excerpted from “The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands” by Dr. Laura Schlessinger. Copyright © 2004 

Well I am sure you can go read the book for yourself. Really, its worth it. I had one professor point out that we claim to put Family first on our list of priorities. Within that list if our relationship to our spouse. But what are we doing for them? Are we continuing our education regarding marriage? He then said that we should be constantly improving that relationship. We should be reading about it, working on it and even going to classes and seminars on it. So as they wanna-be A+ student that I am, I am reading this book. And I can't seem to put it down. 
So here is to you Hubby. I love you. I appreciate you. Thank you for working so hard for our family each and every day. For coming home and doing the dishes and watching the toddler and rubbing my feet and telling ME to go relax. I am pretty sure I should be rubbing your feet and telling you to relax instead. 


5 comments:

Tina said...

Cute!! No wonder you guys are always so happy and fun to be around. You are perfect for one another!!!
Thanks for the reminders Makana!!

Anonymous said...

I too read that book, it was good, and as always a good reminder of what typically we know, but may not know how to put it into action. I like Dr. Laura and all her no nonsense point of views, that's my kind of gal. I liked you're post. Too, a nice thing is, typically when you're a better wife, your husband becomes better too! Married life is the good life :D

Karie said...

I think I'll pick that book up and read it. I remember early in my motherhood that a friend told me that it's funny how when someone has a job they will go to all sorts of length to stay up to date on that job but we don't put the same into our marriage/parenting. I love reading books that polish my skills, although I'm horrible at applying them to the level I would like. Thanks for the reminder!

marcia said...

wow thats pretty cool he rubs your feet! I remember that thats one thing my dad didn't ever want to do for my mom but he was amazing to her in every other way. What a good hubby you are.

Unknown said...

wow!! sounds like i really need to read this book lol. i agree... i see myself putting my role as a mother before my role as a wife often.. its just natural. and thats not good. i need to be a better wife. i need to do better at a lot of things. and i think i should read this book :) thanks makana! i love your posts! you are so inspiring!

I am realizing that this is mostly me, (makana) you get to read about in this blog. Hmm... well, lucky you! :)