Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Thoughts on marriage.... totally not an expert




Ive been thinking a lot on marriage. Between completing my personal progress and the Summer Of Love, this topic has been on my mind for two weeks. There was a conversation that took place a few days ago I thought to share. 


Me: Awe, so cute!
Hubbs: What? 
Me: That old couple driving together.There. See?
Hubbs: Why is it that it is so cute? 
Later.....
Hubbs: Awe! Look at that 40-something and all the kids. Oh, there is even a dog! 


Hahaha
.....................
But it DID get me thinking. Why is it that my reaction to the older generation seems to always be the same? Then I read this.


"It is far more difficult to be of one heart and mind than to be physically one. This unity of heart and mind is manifest in sincere expressions of 'I appreciate you' and 'I am proud of you.' Such domestic harmony results from forgiving and forgetting, essential elements of a maturing marriage relationship. Someone has said that we 'should keep [our] eyes wide open before marriage, and half shut afterward.' True charity ought to begin in marriage, for it is a relationship that must be rebuilt every day." -Elder James E. Faust


and

I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.



And the infamous "Love is a choice you make each morning, each day, each moment"


Recently there have been some loss of marriage through death and divorce. And oh how my heart hurts. And if you been able to wade through all my thoughts put to "paper" here I will make my point. I have LOVED doing this Summer of love. I know, its only been a week. Not even. And each day I am excited to show the hubbs how I love him and also to see what he does. 


I remember while I was at Winter Quarters and seeing how sweet the older couples interacted with one another and promising myself that I would have that. Somewhere I realized that we both have to work at it daily or we will wake up one day, all old and grey and wrinkly and not know each other. I refuse to let that happen. So I choose now. I choose to forgive always, to be slow to anger and to love fully. 


What things have you done to show your love or what have you learned in marriage? I'm interested, open and ready to learn


note: picture by Jared Paulsen

2 comments:

Bird is the Word said...

I have learned to let the "little things" go. Sometimes when hubby is not doing what I WANT i get upset and would want to yell, BUT I have realized when I talk to him like an adult BOTH our lives are SO much better! I also make sure to greet him with a KISS after work. He gives me a kiss every morning before he leaves (i am usually still asleep) And I make sure to TELL him I love him and SHOW him I love him too!
P.S. My hubby works for iLoveToCreate aka Duncan Enterprses and they gave me FREE stuff to play with a BLOG about after they saw my blog. I am one of the "bloggers" linked to their home site... so I have to post the things i do on my blog. I guess it would not hurt to DOUBLE post things if you want to do that...

marcia said...

I had told my sisters and mom about your summer of love idea! They think you guys are incredible.

I am realizing that this is mostly me, (makana) you get to read about in this blog. Hmm... well, lucky you! :)